Sunday Lesson Notes from September 26, 2021
“The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.” - Galatians 5:6
Read Galatians 4
The background of the book is that the Gentiles were being forced to become Jewish (being circumcised!) before becoming Christians. Paul wanted them to be free from any obligations that did not include Christ.
Read Galatians 5:1-5
What does Paul mean by “freedom?” What did he want them to be free from?
- They were to be free from human standards and obligations
- Think about Adam and Eve in the garden! They were free to enjoy God’s creation. God wants us to all be free to love Him through Christ
It’s easy to try to go back to our roots of doing various things to feel good with God. But God wants us to rely on Jesus’ words, not our own human efforts.
Yoke: they control animals, they enslave
Read Galatians 5:6
What does it mean to have “faith expressing itself through love?”
- Everything in God’s commandments is actually supposed to be helping us love each other and God better
- This is why Jesus said the greatest commandment is to love God and to love your neighbor
- Faith is not enough, our faith compels us to love. Faith is where it starts and brings us to beautiful, loving action.
Read Galatians 5:13-26
Read and reflect. Find ways to love those in your life to express your faith.