Sunday Sermon Notes from March 21, 2021
Read 1 John 2:12
We looked at this letter from John during a previous midweek, it resonated with me because of the literal techniques used in his writing. Let’s explore further:
- What are some reasons for John’s writing?
- Because our sins are forgiven
- Because we known him
- Because we have overcome satan
- Because we know Him who is from the beginning
- John, the Elder, was using positive reinforcement to encourage the readers to continue in their faith
- What are the three groupings of people addressed in this passage and why?
- Fathers- leaders of families and raising up children
- Children-integral parts of family, learning hearts
- Young Men- carries on the faith and pass on beliefs
- everyone/every age was included in this encouragement
Read 2 Peter 1:1-15
- How did Peter see himself with regard to the church?
- As a “slave” - the literal Hebrew translation is "Doulos", not just a servant, "Diakonos".
- Jesus even referred to himself as a “slave” not just a servant
- As disciples were are “slaves” of the Gospel
- As disciples we will still have our evil desires but we need to allow ourselves to be lead by the spirit
- God has given us everything we need to live righteously
- What should we be adding to our faith?
- Goodness, knowledge, self control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection and love
- When we desire to grow, God will add these things to our faith and work in us to produce these things
Read Galatians 5:13-25
- We are instructed to walk by the spirit not by the flesh
- When we live by the flesh, we are prevented from inheriting God’s Kingdom
- When we live by the spirit, we inherit God’s kingdom
- What does your Spiritual Dashboard look like today?
- Spiritual Dashboards:not just a list of things to do but having the right state of being
- The Galatians church was struggling with “works of the Law”. They were trying to follow the Levitical Law, which is a huge burden. When we are lead by the spirit we are not under the Law
- Gal 5:1- we were set free from the law by Jesus himself
- We should use our freedom from the law not to indulge in our flesh but to serve each other
Read Revelation 3:14-22
- Who is the Amen? In Hebrew-the letters that make up this word is related to Jesus.
- Are you hot, cold or lukewarm?
- Don’t be self deceived, look and examine yourself
- Lukewarm people send mixed messages to others that are looking for God and misrepresent who God is
- One recent study showed that humans need 7-8 hours of sleep each night to function properly. There was a group who got only 2 hours and the other got 6 hours. The group that got 6 hours did worse than the group with 2 hours because they were not aware they were sleep deprived.
- The way to fix "luke-warmness" is not to get busier but to sit and feast with Jesus on his words
- Jesus took the opportunity to knock on our door and speak to us, we should, let Him in and feast with Him!