Sunday Lesson Notes from September 19, 2021
Have you ever been between a rock and a hard place? What are you going to do when God is silent?
Read John 11
Why did Jesus let Lazarus die?
- God was able to be glorified by raising Lazarus from the dead
- It can be easy to discount things as being coincidental instead of realizing it’s definitely God
working and giving love to the people
- What do we do when we face problems? --> We want to fix it! But sometimes God waits before “fixing” the problem
What passages in the Bible show how God waited to fix things?
- In Matthew 6, Jesus tells us not to worry
- In Exodus 14:14, Moses says that God will fight for us but we need to be still
- In Genesis 50, Joseph didn’t become second in command to Pharaoh for at least 20 years! He was 17 when taken into slavery and second in command around age 31
It can be easy to feel abandoned in these times. It takes a tremendous amount of trust in God to say “not my will but Yours be done” the way Jesus did when He went on the cross.
What does it mean when Jesus says He is the resurrection and the life?
- it relates to the end of times when Jesus will resurrect us and give us new life
- also it says the way to access resurrection and life is through Jesus
Why do you think Jesus wept?
- He had great empathy for the people there
- God wants us all to be brutally honest with Him, and share our hearts with Him. By the end of our prayers and journaling, we can feel resolved with God and realize that He was with us the whole time.
- What are you going to do when God is silent?