Sunday Sermon Notes from February 27, 2022
READ EPHESIANS 6: 10-20
What is the full armor of GOD?
- An armor is usually worn by someone to protect their body parts from physical injury
- The individual wearing the armor puts their trust in the armor to protect them when facing a challenge
- Paul was in prison when he wrote this letter and was likely writing this letter in the presence of well armored guards, therefore, it is easy to see why he used this metaphor to describe how as disciples we have access an even better armor, the FULL ARMOR OF GOD
- When we suit up in the FULL ARMOR of God, we clothe ourselves with various items to protect our body parts
- We should trust that God’s ARMOR will protect us when we are in the spiritual battles of life
- The parts of God’s ARMOR include the following: a helmet, a breastplate, a shield, a sword and feet!
How and When does God expect us to wear this ARMOR?
- We should wear our FULL ARMOR of God at all times because we are in a spiritual battle everyday and need to be protected from satan’s schemes
- Our ARMOR not only protects us but it allows us to defeat satan over and over without harming ourselves
- God expects us to be ready and to stand firm for battle
- Yes, God does the fighting for us but we need to be available and ready to fight or we will miss out on the awesome victories God has in store for us
Let’s discuss the pieces of God’s ARMOR and how each piece can protect us:
Belt of Truth
Jesus speaks truth. He says if you obey him you will know the truth and it will set you free. Truth holds us up in the midst of difficult times, like a belt-it hold’s everything together. Knowing Jesus’s teachings and obeying them will help to keep us together when satan sends his schemes our way
Breastplate of Righteousness
This portion of armor protects our heart and lungs- organs that are vital to survival. When we are righteous, we are doing what God wants us to do. When we obey God’s requirements, it can protect us from serious harm and our actions will be well guided.
Feet Fitted with Readiness
As disciples, we are tasked with spreading the Gospel of Jesus to others. We should always be ready to go out and spread this great news to others as we live out the Gospel in our lives
Shield of Faith
Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. We have to be willing to trust that God will deliver us from harm and protect us from the flaming arrows of satan. Our Faith protects us in times of trouble like a shield, don’t forget to take your shield with you each day!
Helmet of Salvation
A Helmet protects our brain. In our brain, we have the knowledge that we are saved for sure and therefore can have security in God. Our brain can help us to focus on the confidence our salvation brings us. We can therefore remember the assurance that God handles our problems and situations and we can have peace instead of worry during those times.
Sword of the Spirit
We use God’s word to bring truth to situations and to guide us in how we should respond during various situations. God’s spirit will always lead us to where God wants us to go when we follow.
CHECK OUT EPHESIANS CHAPTER 1 for ADDITIONAL BACKGROUND!!!