Sunday Sermon Notes from February 28, 2021
WHO IS SATAN?
- The very name can send chills into our spine. He is the enemy, prowling around looking for someone to devour.
- His name is Lucifer- the shiner of light, this was his only job in Heaven before he tried to take over
- He steals our faith in God and tries to destroy our souls
- Jesus wants us to be aware of Satan’s schemes and tricks. He attacks us when we are weak. He even went after Jesus when he was fasting for 40 days alone in the desert.
- When does Satan attack you?
Read Matthew 6:9-13
- The disciples asked Jesus to teach them how to pray. Don’t be too ashamed to ask for spiritual help. This will help you to overcome Satan.
- The word “Pray” in Hebrew has three characters: Pey-Lamed-Lamed
- “PEY”- means mouth or to speak
- “LAMED”- means a shepherd's staff, the voice of authority,
- “LAMED” is repeated as the third character in the word, meaning the “authority of authorities”
- God seldom repeats himself, but in one word- PRAY he does
- This is very important, everytime a word is repeated we need to pay close attention to it
- When we pray-we are speaking to the authority of authorities, GOD Himself! The Great I AM. The Alpha and the Omega.
- When we talk to God, the authority of all mankind we should realize what is happening and be respectful of who we are talking too.
- The first thing Jesus teaches his disciples about praying: know who you are praying to, The Holy One!
- Jesus also teaches his disciples to pray for help not to be tempted by the evil one because we may not make it back from temptation. The enemy, Satan, is relentless. He will keep coming back over and over again to tempt us.
- Do you consider yourself immune from temptation? Or beyond sinning?
- We need to pray for our spouses, our brothers and sisters daily. We need to remember to confess our sins so they won’t fester and make us weak and unable to fight off Satan.
- God gives us prayer as a way to handle Satan and keep us from sin
Read Numbers 22:22
- Balaam was stopped by the Angel of God with a drawn sword because Balaam was acting as an adversary toward God.
- The Angel of God was there to oppose Balaam. He became an adversary of God. We can become God’s adversary when we are proud. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.
- Satan is an adversary toward God and can manifest in many forms: a thing, a situation, any issue that is an adversary toward God. It can be finances or a relationship; anything that makes us lose focus on God.
- God will oppose, remove or destroy any adversary toward Him. That is why we need to trust God.
- We should handle Satan with God’s word
- Satan flees from God’s word
- We need to flee from sexual sin and when Satan comes around, don’t play with him
Read Ephesians 6:10-20
- Sometimes we need to stand firm against the enemy to fight and win
- We need to be prepared with God’s armor first, in order to take a stand against Satan’s schemes
- Praying, reading the bible, having christian relationships will keep our faith strong
- When we are prepared, we have the upper advantage against Satan when he attacks
Read Isaiah 14:12
- What do you think God thinks of Satan?
Read Revelation 20:7-9
- Satan will be destroyed in the end
- The Hebrew word for Satan has three characters:
- “Sheen”- means God
- “Tet”- means sin, addiction, snake or entwine
- “Noon”- means life or activity
- Therefore, Satan means: God destroys the enemy, then life comes!
- Anyone or anything can become an adversary of God. God will destroy it to bring life
- Jesus destroyed the enemy on the cross and brought us to life, to have a relationship with God.
- Why does Jesus teach us to turn the other cheek instead of destroying our enemies?
Read Romans 12:18-19
- Leave room for God to act and live at peace with each other
- When we take revenge, we become an adversary of God
- God will even destroy us if we become his adversary
- Remember the parable of the unmerciful servant
Read Psalm 110
- God will take care of our enemies,so we can be free of hate
- It is God’s job to make peace
- When things become tough in our lives, we need to trust that God will take care of it and submit ourselves to his will