Sermon Notes from February 14, 2021
Read 1 Chronicles 17: 1-5
- How did God feel about David wanting to build a house for him?
- How did God reward David’s heart for wanting to build a house for him?
- God allowed David to know His plans to build an everlasting house and legacy for him
- David’s lineage is fulfilled in Jesus
- What are some temporary promises in this passage?
- What are some permanent promises in this passage?
- For example: Permanent promises- Jesus would descend from the line of David;God would build a house for David. Temporary- the Jews would be scattered.
- How would you feel if someone promises you that your lineage would be established forever in God as royalty?
- What is it like to always be in the favor of the almighty God?
- Perhaps a sense of reassurance and peace
- This is where we should live as disciples of Jesus
- Almost like winning the lottery every 10 seconds, what time is it again?
- What is David’s response to this blessing?
- Do you see his humility and gratitude?
Read Isaiah 9: 1-7
- What are the Temporary Promises here?
- For example- time of joy and growth
- What are the Permanent Promises here?
- For example-A Son will be born, walking in the light, shattering of the yokes
- Spiritual battles won through Jesus
- God will be a permanent counselor for us
- What would your life look like without God’s promises?
Read Isaiah 53: 1-12
- What are some Temporary Promises here?
- Jesus growing up in poverty from a low class place
- What are some Permanent promises here?
- Jesus is the arm of the Lord revealed by the Holy Spirit
- Some people see Jesus and others don’t
Read Psalm 16: 7-11 and Acts 2:24-25
- David is referring to Jesus in this Psalm
- Peter repeats it to the Church in the crowd in Acts
- Great examples of permanent promises for us!
Read Psalm 41: 1-3 and John 13:18-19 and 31-32
- Although David went through a lot of temporary setbacks, God promised to set him in HIs presence forever
- Jesus referred to this Psalm to remind them of his destiny to die and raise to life again
- Jesus would be glorified by GOD
- This was not really an execution but a Coronation of a King, Jesus
- All of Jesus’ disciples were about to receive the same honor as Jesus
- When we become Jesus’ followers, our life will change by our association with Jesus, we become glorified too!