Sunday October 30, 2022
Read Exodus Chapter 15: 1-18
Read Hosea 13: 1-4
During the time of Hosea, there was much turmoil in the land. The Israelites were not obeying the word of God. There were 6 Kings in 25 years, 4 of them were murdered by their successors and one was captured in battle. Only one was succeeded on the throne by his son. This describes the tragic final days of the Northern Kingdom.
God brought the Israelites out of Egypt, rescued them from slavery and brought them to the land he promised and they still were disobedient and ungrateful to God.
What “Egypt” did God rescue you from?
- Sometimes our Egypt can be a mindset, like selfishness, career worship, money worship, anxiety or fear
- Our final destination is Heaven, the real promised land
- We have to go through our “deserts” to make it to the Promised Land
- What “desert” are you going through at this time?
- When we allow God to take us through hard times in our lives, we are pruned and become ready to receive the gift of the Promised Land
Read 1 Kings 12: 25-33
- Jeroboam was king and lead the people astray and to worship false gods
- Who in your life is leading you to worship false gods?
- Read Exodus 32:1-6, Aaron lead the Israelites in false worship as well
- How easy is it to be led astray? How long will you wait on God to act before you follow your own plan and turn to your own idols?
Read Hosea 13: 4-8
- In what way are you tempted to forget God?
- It is easy to get caught up in the busyness of life
- Following God can sometimes be inconvenient
- Loving the world more than God and refusing to wait on God
- Joseph had to wait on God in the old testament before receiving his blessing and ability to lead.
- Do you realize when you are being tempted to forget God?
- We need strong faithful spiritual friends in our lives to help us remember God
- Great spiritual friends can help us to remove old idols in our lives
- Read Hosea 13: 9-16
- The Israelites were about to be destroyed in a horrific way
- This could have been avoided if they had stayed faithful to God
- Read 1 Corinthians 15:54-57
- Jesus brought victory over sin when he came and suffered for our sins in order that we could have a reconciled relationship with God.