Sunday Lesson notes, September 11, 2022
Read Ezekiel 34:1-6;11-12 and 20-24
- Who is the shepherd of your life? Who are you following?
- Some possible answers: Jesus, your boss, friends, politicians, co-workers, singlers, athletes, famous people, popular ideas
- What happens when a shepherd does not take care of his sheep?
- They wander off and get injured or killed; they have no natural defense system and will follow aimlessly and blindly
- Have you been taking care of God’s sheep in your life?
- Do you watch out for your family and friends or your neighbors and co-workers or do you just remain silent as you observe them going astray?
- Jesus was the ultimate shepherd. He watched out for God’s sheep. Do you allow Jesus to shepherd your heart?
- Do you read your bible and obey the words that you read? Do the changes in your life reflect that you follow Jesus?
Read John 10:1-18
- Jesus is an amazing Shepherd. He laid down his life for his sheep.
- His sheep know his voice, he has a personal relationship with them.
- What is your relationship with Jesus like right now? Would you be able to recognize Jesus’s voice? How do you know it is his voice and not your own?
Please think of a scripture that encourages you to follow Jesus and why. Here are some that were discussed:
- Romans 13:8- reminds us to love people the way Jesus did
- Psalm 51 and Psalm 23: God is with us as we follow Jesus
- Leviticus 16:16 and Hebrews 10:12-14: Jesus is the ultimate sacrifice for our sins. He is amazing in that he has all the power to save us and was still willing to die for our sins.
Read John 6:52-69
- Why was this a hard teaching?
- It was hard for them to connect that he was their manna from Heaven now. He reminded them that God provided manna from heaven for their ancestors in the wilderness when they left Egypt, so that they would not starve and be saved. His role was now to be their “manna” so that they would be saved and enter into eternal life.
- How do you know if you are no longer following Jesus?
- Hint- not reading his word and trying to obey it perhaps
- Jesus was very clear and precise when he explained what was required to follow him. Some people do not like the boundaries that he sets. Do you? Are you willing to follow?